Blog Post #9

I finished glazing the bowl I threw on the wheel and I was very pleased with the results. The leaf piping was executed better on the bowl than on the tree because I had more time to practice the technique of piping slip. This time I used different shades of blue and incorporated flowers along the vines which I was very pleased with. However, I had hoped the form and size of my bowl was a little larger because I was working towards throwing larger forms on the wheel. Looking back, the bowl was a great stepping stone in my attempt to throw larger items and I hope to continue this progression at a more advanced pace because this is my last month of school to work.

My next goal is to throw a larger vase or pitcher on the wheel and I will need to research this by watching videos. Hopefully, after watching some of them I will better understand how to center, even with a large amount of clay. Last week I worked on the wheel with a smaller amount of clay to warm up and get used to the feel of throwing because I hadn’t thrown in over a month. I was pleased with the results when I cut the form in half because the walls were an even thickness. However, I have problems with the bottom corners of any vessel I throw because I don’t thin that portion out enough. If I can solve this problem my wheel throwing skills will improve immensely.

Published inUncategorized

Be First to Comment